Dec 19, 2012

Review: Richard Branson - Losing My Virginity

I have always been a fan of Richard Branson (read: Hollywood Bug). And recently, my choice of reading materials have changed from general fiction or chic lit to autobiographies or true account or motivational (sudah tua!) So my current read is Richard Branson's 'Losing My Virginity - The Autobiography'


A lot of people in my office that saw the title of the book gave me a funny look, because they didn't know who Richard Branson is..wth right???

But anyway..I can't seem to put the book down and always end up missing my train stop when I'm reading it (the only time I get to read is when I'm commuting to/from work) Its funny, personal and most definitely inspiring. He has been at the bottom of the wheel for many times in his career but has always persevered and took the risk to push harder. Obviously he's succeeded..

The thing about him that I discovered from the book is that he works crazy hard and a fair man in running his business, believing in taking care of his employees first, followed by the customers and then the stakeholder - which makes a lot of sense actually. He gets his inspiration and ideas from the surroundings, always wanting to provide what's missing or lacking in the current scene, wanting to make the world a better place. He sees the niche in the business and takes action upon it. Something I lack..taking action.

But most importantly, I think the secret to his success are the people that surrounds him, mostly his parents. They've been his biggest supporter right from the very beginning. If I were ever able to do the a piece on the success of Richard Branson, I would start by interviewing his parents. They've put up with all his adventures and pulled him out from his mishaps. Supporting him all the way.

I wish to one day be as supportive to my children as the Bransons were to Richard. Hopefully they'll be as successful as he is one day..

Most of the parts in the book that would make me laugh are usually of conversation or statements that Richard's father made..a excerpt from the book
More than anything, I marvelled at the sense of humour of the man who had seen it all! One fantastic example of this was early one morning on his birthday; we'd all just woken up and were quite grumpy after a night in the tent but Dad was beaming. We were all intrigued until he said: 'If I was Catholic I'd be doing penance today. I had the most wonderful dream. It involved a girl.'
'Did you misbehave with her?' I asked.
Quick as a flash Dad replied: 'I don't know what you mean. Well I behaved. She was outrageously naughty!' And this from a man in his eighties!
I haven't fully finished the book, on the last 2 chapter of it. Secretly delaying the book hoping there is more because I enjoyed it too much. Don't know if I would enjoy his other books as much as I've enjoyed this one, but maybe I'll give it a try after I've finished reading my Big Bad Wolf purchases! (made some delightful 'damages'!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...